Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Territoy - the beginning


I've had 2 weeks in Darwin now, and I can honestly say that I've seen none of it that doesn't lie within 3 blocks of my hotel. Other than work, work and a bit more work there has not been much happening. I'm thinking $50 a day does not cover the 24/7 work!

The first week was all training indoors and working out how much paperwork we were going to have to do with little to no connectivity and a toughbook (aka slowbook).

This week has been all about First Aid and learning about the plethora of creepy crawlies that will get you up here (note to self: do no go outdoors). Everyone seemed to have a story about a snake attacking a car, a eagle smashing through a windscreen, a 13 year old girl getting bitten by a spider. Have I mentioned how thrilled I am to be going outback.

The last 3 days have been 4WD training, my personal weakness I knew this would be a challenge. The first day was theory and car maintenance (and yes I changed a f-ing heavy tyre), 2nd day was serious 4WD on hills and muddy stuff and the 3rd day on a WWII airstrip doing braking and skidding (loads of fun). I have to say I had a bit of a moment on the hills where I thought I was going to burst into tears and run out of the car home - but the fact that I couldn't walk down the hill (so I still don't know how the car got down) made me stay. I don't think I'll ever be 4WD for fun.

One exciting (or life reducing) part of the week was when we were pulling a 2 tonne truck out of a bog, the snatch strap was attached and as one of the guys pulled off (with his foot to the floor) the part of the car in the mud that the strap was attached to broke. There was a massive bang as the strap flung back towards the towing car. When we walked over to the car we realised what had happened, the brace on the car, the bolt and part of the strap were imbedded in the spare tyre on the back of the car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home