Thursday, March 13, 2008

Adventure


I had quite an adventurous day today in Maningrida. I not only learnt to drive a manual around town (best place to do it with no cars), although it does still seem like a lot of unnecessary work. I also spent some quality time and money in the arts centre.

In the afternoon we got invited to go to an outstation with one of the local guys. The road was dirt and sand in some places and was pretty waterlogged, there were also a couple of river crossings - loads of fun...but I wasn't driving. Most of the people from the outstation live in the town in the wet.

The local guy pointed out all the different areas, like cemetaries and the old market garden which they are keen to get running again. He also mentioned that some salt water crocs had been washed up this wet season.

It reminded me of a guy at yellow water who said the women in his family had a ceremony they used when they went into water with crocs involving singing and slapping the water. I kind wished I knew it when two of our party headed out into a river crossing to see how deep it was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home