Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Great Ocean Walk - finale




Day 4 Cape Otway to Aire River 9.7
Tired, grumpy and dirty I resentfully packed up the tent for the last time and taped up my feet to ensure they would survive another day. I trudged most of the final walk cursing Cheryl for bringing so much stuff she couldn’t share the carrying of the tent. My feet were hurting, my hips were hurting, I was bitten by mosquito’s and feeling a little sunburnt.
Somehow no one else was feeling my pain, or crankiness as they powered on up ahead in soft sand. I spent most of the day miles behind the rest of the group – catching up only when they stopped for a photo op or scroggin break. Jay’s unnerving cheeriness was even getting on my nerves, and I’m sure, had I complained out loud Natasha would have carried my bag as well as hers.
So I sucked it up, ate my final chocolate, took some more asthma medication, had a go at Cheryl for not carrying the tent and trudged on.
We had started insanely early this morning, due to me having to catch an evening plane. We had left our campsite at around 8. Before we knew it we could spot the bridge where we’d left the car, and arrived in record time at 1030 – the last 200 metres was ridiculous – I didn’t think I could lift my boots for one more step.
Sitting down and taking off my boots for the last time – towelling off the repellent and sunscreen we all fantasised about what meal we’d have back in Apollo Bay for lunch. The streak, chips and beer I had was the best thing I’d ever tasted. Glancing around the bistro at the groomed tourists we sat in a corner in our sweaty, unwashed group and realised we didn’t really belong there.

1 Comments:

At 8:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I htink if your fellow travellors read this they will never want to go anywhere with you again!!! Alyson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home