Monday, March 16, 2009

Finally in NZ

After a surprisingly short plane ride, I'm now in a country where the people speak funny and the money is different. I'm used to having to travel for at least 8 hours for that.

Two days in Auckland saw more weather than Melbourne and an awesome night at La Clique (if you haven't seen the German in the bath, you haven't lived). It seems a bit like a town where everything happens out in the burbs - I felt like my whole time in the CBD was a bit like being on George St in Sydney. The accents are still amusing me though.

A mamoth drive saw us off to the Hot Beach where warm water comes out of the beach and you can wallow in the sandy warmth. We also stopped off at Cathedral Cove which was spectacular and well worth the walk down.

After that we headed on more windy roads off to Rotorua, where the smell cannot be described..well yes it can, and you know what it smells like. It was rather strange to see steam pouring out of the ground and somewhat unsafe. We did some wandering on the first night to look for a beverage and didn't see a soul - we were right in the centre of town and it was like the invasion of the body snatchers. We then happened upon an Irish pub which was full of Irish people - rather strange again.

My travel buddy dragged me off for some sledging down the rapids. If you're wondering about sledging, its kinda like body boarding on some rough water. http://www.kaitiaki.co.nz/ I wasn't entirely prepared for what was to come, but it was (mostly) fun and rather tiring. After the 10 minute walk to the beginning of the rapids in full gear with a 10 kilo board I was ready to call it a day. But an hour of flying uncontrollably down rapids and almost dying on more than one occasion was to follow. My fear of eels (during mating season mistaking my wetsuit covered leg for a mate) and either drowning or getting stuck in a whirlpool kept me alert and alarmed for much of the hour. I now have a rather spectacular collection of bruises which I didn't notice getting at the time.

We left Rotorua and headed for Napier a city which is all Art Deco due to a devastating earthquake. It was a rather cool place to wander around, and we even joined the toddlers for a look around the National Acquarium which also had kiwi's and glowworms - it was rather fun.

Next stop is the bottom of the South Island Wellington. I've heard of its gastronomic delights and am very much looking forward to dinner and a savignon blanc.

3 Comments:

At 12:30 pm, Blogger Cam&Anna said...

I think that sledging thing looks very dangerous. Much better just to keep it on the sports field.

 
At 4:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sledging sounds fun! Eels sounds scary. Enjoy Wellington.

 
At 9:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a glass for me - and another for you to chase the eels away!! luv Al

 

Post a Comment

<< Home