Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Heartbreak Hotel & Caranbirini - Teeth optional

What is one to do on all these long lonely weekends in the NT? Head down to the Heartbreak seems to be the answer. So on Saturday I jumped in my government funded vehicle and drove the 500 or so ks to Cape Crawford. There is nothing, and I mean nothing at Cape Crawford other than the Heartbreak a shop/camp ground/hotel/bar type establishment. Where the meals were a welcome change from the burgers and schitzels I had been enduring so far through the NT. And the Corona's were $5...or often free as the bar tender attempted to get me drunk...quite achieveable since I've been living in a dry community.

One thing that is near by is Caranbirini, the poor mans version of the Bungle Bungles, but since I haven't seen the Bungle Bungles I was quite impressed. Towering domes and interesting trees all looked fabulous in the afternoon sun. I'd never heard of the place, but I was pretty happy I drove the 30 or so ks out of Cape Crawford to see it.

The evening was an interesting one, more hats and belt buckles than you could poke a stick at and a small smattering of flannels - worn in un-ironic fashion. Drinking rum (and the odd girly alcopop) seemed to be the pastime of the local ringers, stockmen and cowboys, who all seemed to take a keen interest in the new girl in town.



2 Comments:

At 11:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The night out at the Heartbreak is what we wanna see photos of! C'mon Nic, don't be holding out on us.

 
At 12:09 pm, Blogger Nic000 said...

It seriously wasn't that exciting - I promise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home