Thursday, July 03, 2008

27 Hours on a Bus

When you look at a map Darwin doesn't seem that far from Broome. And I'm sure if I was driving it wouldn't have been. But in a bus that didn't go over 80ks (and that was only with the air con off) it was a rather long journey. Luckily there were only 3 of us in a 12 seater bus so plenty of room to spread out and nap - which I did with abundance, only waking for toilet and biscuit breaks. At some point boab trees started appearing, which are pretty cool.


We stopped at a plethora of roadhouses - all which start looking the same after a while. We camped on the side of the road in swags (I thought they were more warm and comfortable) in cooee of the roadtrains wizzing by. Although being able to look up at the stars when your face wasn't freezing off was pretty special - and I looked at them for hours as my neighbours snoring kept all the animals away (and any hope of sleep for me).

We arrived in Broome after around 27 hours on a bus with a racist homophophobic driver, no shower and no air conditioning.

Did I mention I'm flying back?

1 Comments:

At 12:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a genuine Territory experience to me. I bet the driver wasn't licensed and the bus wasn't registered....

Cam

 

Post a Comment

<< Home